I didn’t group lip aging as one of the common lip problems as it is subtle and forms a part of total aging in our body, be it prematurely or naturally. Premature aging in lips are often overlooked despite the fact that lips age in a faster pace than any parts of the skin.
Look at the appearance of lips, how thin and vulnerable they are! Once they are exposed to sunlight, stress, foods contributing to free radical formation, nicotine and other oxidizing agent besides genetic factor, collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid and other natural substances found in lip skin tend to diminish.
As a result, lip lines and wrinkles are formed, the Cupid’s Bow begins to flatten out, the mouth looked frown, lip gets thinner or losing its volume and the once young and vibrant full lips would end up in our memory lane.
While certain causes of lip aging are unavoidable, we could do something to prevent the preventables and rejuvenate the lips with scientifically proved approaches or even have a cosmetic makeover on the aged lips.
To prevent lip aging:
- Avoid sunbathing and wear lip balm or lipsticks with sunscreen under the sun.
- Don’t get yourself overworked and have not less than 6 hours sleep.
- Go to bed before 11pm if possible.
- Do not use oxidant rich or expired lipsticks and other lip products
- Avoid fried, overcooked and canned foods.
- Take anti-aging supplements or herbal preparantions.
- Cut down coffee and tea.
- Stop smoking.
To rejuvenate your lips:
- Apply topical lip treatments rich in anti-oxidants such as Vitamin A, C, E and selenium.
- Use rejuvenating home remedies such as honey and olive oil as lip nourishment.
- Have regular lip exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and promote growth of new cells.
- Regular lip mask, ya, lip skin needs nourishment to stay young!
To reform your lips:
- Try professional lip wrinkles treatment such as Botox, chemical peel, laser resurfacing etc.
- Cosmetic makeover on lips namely lip augmentation is the final resort to reform aged lips. Fillers such as Collagen and Restylane are injected.